OTA Training Programme: English for Academic Purposes
Oxford Fajar Sdn Bhd will be organising the Oxford Teachers’ Academy training programme: English For Academic Purposes (EAP), to be held at UTMSpace, Kuala Lumpur on 24 – 26 March 2015.
Oxford Teachers’ Academy (OTA) courses have been developed by Oxford University Press (OUP). Short and practical, these 18-hour OTA courses have been designed specifically for practising teachers with the aim of helping teachers build and grow their skills, and achieve the learning goals set for students. Over the past 10 years OTA courses have been successfully conducted in over 30 countries with overwhelmingly positive feedback from teachers.
This EAP course caters to the specific needs of lecturers and teachers of students studying English in order to pursue an English-medium tertiary academic course (degree and diploma programmes, professional courses, IELTS, TOEFL, etc.). The course will be delivered by an approved OTA trainer who is certified by OUP and OUDCE, Ms Mina Patel. Actively involved in English education for over 20 years, Ms Patel is an internationally recognised and respected ELT trainer. She has conducted OTA courses in Indonesia, Taiwan and Vietnam.
If you would like to know more about the course, click here. To register at a special early bird rate (with RM300 discount), click here.
We adhere to a strict 35-participant limit for each course to ensure every participant enjoys an optimal learning experience. We therefore encourage you to reserve your seat early. Please contact us at +603-5629 4164 (Anita Mohamed) for more information or if you have any other enquiries. We look forward to your participation.
WHY ATTEND THIS COURSE?
This course helps you:
- explore problematic areas for students on an EAP course
- analyse the relative advantages and disadvantages of integrated and discreet skills work
- consider how best to foster critical thinking and develop specific study skills in your learners.
You will take part in group discussions, engage in various activities and share practical tips to enhance skills in teaching EAP. At the end of the 3-day course, you will be able to draw on useful strategy to successfully manage and teach learners of EAP.
Upon successfully completing the course and providing evidence of learning, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion issued by OUP and certified by OUDCE. In some countries, the Certificate is accredited by the Ministry of Education.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE COURSE:
- Academic Study Skills
- enable students to manage their own learning
- foster critical thinking and other study skills
- help students learn to research, collate, and process ideas
- Academic Reading and Writing
- recognise the challenges of academic reading and writing in English and know which strategies to employ to overcome them
- review published EAP reading and writing materials
- share tips on working through reading and writing tasks
- Academic Listening & Speaking
- look at skills needed to develop effective listening and speaking skills in an academic context
- identify features of a lecture; challenges posed by and explore ways to deal with different lecture styles
- focus on the key academic skills of being able to effectively express ideas to an audience
- devise criteria for evaluating effective presentation techniques
- analyse practical classroom activities for specific listening and speaking skills
- Academic Lexis:
- examine ways of recording new academic lexis
- explore ways of helping students deal with unknown vocabulary and expand their vocabulary resource
- Assessing EAP Students
- understand the principles of assessment
- analyse current best practice in assessment
- explore formative assessment and self-assessment
LIMITED TO 35 PARTICIPANTS ONLY! REGISTER BY: 6 MARCH 2015
18 hours (3 days) of intensive professional development training at RM2,300 per participant
Register now to enjoy our SPECIAL EARLY BIRD rate!
SAVE RM300 if you register and pay before 18 FEBRUARY 2015!
Group Discount: For registrations from the same institution:
- 2 participants – 10% discount
- 3 participants or more – 15 % discount
Only one discount scheme will apply.