Winners of the Oxford Big Write Creative Writing Competition 2018
Congratulations to all the winners!
We received an astounding 1,350 entries from across 285 schools before the competition ended in May 2018, with ten winners selected for a four day creative writing camp in Kuala Lumpur. The grand prize winner was announced during a prize giving ceremony on 23 June 2018. There were many outstanding essays, and it was difficult for the judges to decide on the winners. Judges were especially impressed with the creativity and imagination of the participants and viewed Oxford Big Write as an ideal platform to encourage young writers in Malaysia.
Below is the list of winners for this year:
Grand prize winner:
Tong Yan Yin – SMK Gelang Patah, Johor Bahru, Johor
Tong Yan Yin won RM2,000 cash prize and her school receives books the height of Yan Yin!
9 Consolation prizes:
- Arif Ismail Bin Ruslan – SBPI Tun Abdul Razak, Pekan, Pahang
- Ashley Chai Yeu Huan - Fairview International School, Johor Bahru, Johor
- Boon Carmen – SMK Pusat Bandar Puchong (1), Selangor
- Jennifer Er Shu Hui - SMK Infant Jesus Convent, Johor Bahru, Johor
- Lim Yong Le – SMK Convent Father Barre, Sungai Petani, Kedah
- Looi Yong Qi - UCSI International School Subang, Selangor
- Santdya A/P Y Vijaya Kumar – SMK Infant Jesus Convent, Johor Bahru, Johor
- Teoh Win Nie – SMK Kwang Hua, Klang, Selangor
- Wong Hayley - Oxburgh Academy, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
Each student takes away cash prize of RM200.
We would also like to award honourable mentions to the following students who demonstrated high levels of creativity, originality and engaging plotlines in their entries. They are:
- Tasha Yogeswaran – SMK Seafield, Subang Jaya, Selangor
- Alya Sabrina binti Adman Rizal – SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (4), Petaling Jaya, Selangor
The Most Active Student Participation Award goes to SMK Tinggi Perempuan Melaka, for submitting a total of 395 entries! The school receives a trophy and a Certificate of Excellence.
2018 Oxford Big Write Competition Grand Winner!
From L-R: Ms Tong Yan Yin, Ms Roslina binti Ismail, Representative of SMK Gelang Patah, Johor Bahru and Mr Rajan Thangavelloo, Sales Director (Schools) of Oxford Fajar Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
Let’s Stack ‘em High!
From L-R: Ms Roslina binti Ismail, Representative of SMK Gelang Patah, Johor Bahru, Ms Tong Yan Yin, and Dr Kalminderjit Kaur, Head of Department of Research and Development, English Language Teaching Centre.
Top 10 Finalists! The Hero and Heroines of the 2018 Oxford Big Write Competition!
From L-R: Dr Kalminderjit Kaur, Head of Department of Research and Development, English Language Teaching Centre and Puan Noorlaila Binti Hamzah (Principal of Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tinggi Perempuan Melaka)