OXFORD FAJAR SDN. BHD. is the subsidiary of OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS, which is one of the oldest and finest of publishers.
We are one of Malaysia's leading publishers, committed to the liberal objectives of OUP—to further education, learning, and cultural excellence through publishing.
To achieve these objectives, we place great emphasis on recruiting quality staff, as well as on training and staff development.
We are based in Shah Alam and looking for qualified candidates to join us. See below for available vacancies:
Current available vacancies:
Associate Director – Schools Publishing
About the Role
This position reports to Publishing Director of Oxford Fajar Sdn. Bhd. The role will be responsible for jointly leading the Schools Editorial team, by ensuring that there is a clear direction set for the Publishing function, with agreed strategies and measures in place. This will include planning, leading and directing the creation and delivery of the agreed Publishing Plan within the set timeline and budget. The person will ensure that there is a clear schools publishing strategy, which is market driven and focused. This will include the Malaysian Schools education market – both Digital and Print and publishing for the Indonesian Schools market.
Below are the key accountabilities of the role:
Strategy: Ensure there is a clear Strategy for the Publishing function with agreed measures in place, with continual review
- Five Year Publishing Plans with clear publishing policies are prepared per schedule, agreed with all stakeholders, to deliver high quality, profitable publishing within OF’s purpose;
- To develop a clear strategy for each sector we publish
- To ensure that we keep abreast of the latest changes from the MOE and to ensure that we capitalize on these changes when they occur.
- Regular reviews of Plans and performance against KPIs are completed per agreed schedule;
- Corrective actions are identified, authorized and taken as needed to deliver the agreed direction;
Budgeting: Plan and manage the Publishing divisional budgets for period to deliver agreed direction.
- Draft budgets are prepared and approved per schedule to deliver the annual new publications, and overheads;
- Any exceptions/amendments to budget are authorized and implemented as needed;
- Reports are completed per schedule with budget commentaries;
- All publishing proposals are completed with realistic costings before the approval process;
- To ensure that first costs are in line with budget.
Operations: Ensure the agreed strategy is implemented effectively to achieve the publishing schedule and organisation’s goals.
- All publishing operations are completed within budget with agreed targets met consistently in each area;
- Corrective action is identified, authorized and taken as needed to achieve the publishing schedule and operating budgets;
- Internal systems (including standards and workflow with Design and Production) and administrative support are in place and effected, and continually reviewed/improved to deliver the Division’s goals;
- Opportunities are identified for co-publishing and agreements are initiated and completed to agreed standards for relevant projects in the Publishing Plan;
- Terms are negotiated for purchase rights from OUP branches/ other publishers and permissions are effectively managed.
- All publishing contracts are completed to agreed standards;
Research and Development: Establish a fully functional research and development operation for the organization
- A proposed purpose, structure and operating process is identified, agreed with the Publishing Director and implemented;
- Systems and resources are in place to research new areas of potentially profitable publishing for OF which will sustain the growth of the business;
- Market opportunities and trends are systematically reviewed by each Publishing Unit and recommendations made for inclusion in the Five Year Publishing Plan;
- External developments in publishing technology, education and government’s policy are tracked, analysed and recommendations are made as needed to continuously develop OF’s profitable publishing capability;
- Feedback from bookshops, dealers and other nominated sources is co-ordinated and results analysed with recommendations for action
Staffing: Ensure the Editorial teams have the direction, support and systems to meet or exceed the expectations of their roles
- Effectively lead, manage and motivate the Editorial team in meeting the Publishing plan and department objectives
- The department structure is continually reviewed for best performance;
- All positions are identified and filled by team members who deliver the required results;
- Support, training, materials and systems are in place, and continually reviewed/improved to deliver departmental objectives;
- Any gaps in performance or skills are identified and plans are in place to address them;
- All team members understand the importance of creating, maintaining and developing a profitable OF list and the impact this has on the organisation’s ongoing success;
- Succession Planning - to devise a plan to retain and develop key staff within the team
The job holder will work closely with all stakeholders across OF SMT, AE Division and AE branches, Group Legal, ELT, OE, GAB, local Editorial, Design & Production, Sales & Marketing, the Indonesia publishing teams, officers in the relevant departments in the Ministry of Education, tender partners, authors key contacts and relevant third party providers as required in developing and delivering all types of programme referred to above.
As the successful candidate shall have:
- Relevant University Degree, or equivalent.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of the national education system and the goals of the National Education Blueprint and its impact on local publishing.
- Knowledgeable on changes in curriculum and assessment trends and themes.
- Experience in budget planning and execution R&D experience (market research to ensure competitive product development).
- Ability to translate a vision into achievable goals and provide clear direction to achieve organisational objectives.
- Track record of recruiting, developing and retaining a high performing team.
- Translating strategy into specific measurable objectives for self and the team.
- Ability to target and engage with key stakeholders and build relationships with all decision makers
- Work flexibly and adapt management style to get the best performance from all staff.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills (in both Bahasa Malaysia and English)
Closing date for applications is 21 April, 2017.